Friday, 23 November 2012

Social writing experiment #1

Hey, it's me again.  I know, twice in the same week, who'd have thought it?

I have had an idea.  It may sound a tad crazy, but to hell with it, what's that saying?  If you don't ask, you don't get. 

Question - Is it possible for a collective of people who don't know each other to write a book?

I find that at times, more than I will honestly admit, that I really want to write, but when I am then sat in front of the ever patient, blinking cursor, sometime the words don't come.  So what I do to get the old juices flowing is pick an object outside of my window, it can be anything, a tree, a person walking past my house, I even once did this with some litter that was being pushed around by the wind, and I write a short story about the subject matter.  For me, all this does is get me thinking and before I know it I'm ready to tackle the main piece I am currently working on.  Often the short story I used to get me started gets left and never thought about again. 

So this got me thinking, if I do it, surely there are other that do it too, or at least something similar.  Rather than delete these little bits of writing that we start and never finish or we do in fact finish them but find that after having read those little morsels it turns out they're no good, what if they could go towards something bigger. 

Here's the idea, it's probably already been done, but I curious to see if this works. I am going to write a few paragraphs to the beginning of a story and then I am going to invite anyone and everyone to submit their own bit.

There are no rules to this 'Experiment'.  People can write as little or as much as they like, (If anyone writes anything at all).  Feel free to introduce characters, create plot lines, etc.  Anything goes.  I don't think there should be any rules when it comes to this.  All I ask is that it is kept within the feel of what was written before and it has to be credible, if that makes sense.  There is no 'theme' or 'genre' either.  I'm curious to see what kind of a story could emerge.

I'm not going to give this possible story a title, not yet, that's maybe something we can debate about if this idea takes off and people contribute.  So to start off it will be called simply 'Chapter One'.  Two words that scare the crap out of me.  If you would like to add to this you need to make sure that you are one the blog post labelled 'Chapter One'.  This will allow anyone to read what it is we have (hopefully) collectively written in what I hope is a chronological order.

If this works, all you have to do is reply to the post with your contribution and then when you have finished end your post with the words <TAG YOUR IT!>.  And then hopefully someone else will take over, etc.

So it is with great trepidation I start this experiment in combined thinking and writing.  You never know, together we could write something epic.  If you would like to take part, please click on the link below to get started.  Let's see if what we write can inspire others to write too.

 

Additional Note

I realise that if this project does take off that there might all sorts of legal mumbo jumbo that might concern people.  Copyright stuff mainly and other things that I have no clue about. 

We live in a world were it's almost impossible to trust anyone and the intentions that they may have when they ask us for something, especially if it's for free.  And it makes me sad that we have to watch out own backs so closely, but please remember, this is just an exercise in fun.  If any contributions are submitted but are considered to be offensive, insensitive or just out right rude, they will be removed.

Apparently if an infinite amount of monkeys, each had their own typewriter, eventually they would write the complete works of Shakespeare.  Well we are not monkeys, but that doesn't mean that between us we couldn't write an epic.  It only has to start with one word.

Take care, but above all, stay cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment