Monday, 17 December 2012

My White Whale and I....

Hey, how's it going?

Well as my two daughters and my wife keep telling me.  A week to go before Christmas is here.  So I have a week to read through my nemesis - Chapter 8.  Dun, dun, dahhhhhh!!

This is the largest chapter I have written in my story/book, it's 65 pages long which equals 27,528 words.  I think that eventually I will end up splitting this in to at least two, maybe even three chapters as the average pages in all my other chapters is 13 - 15.  So to have 65 pages suddenly appear just doesn't feel right.  But that isn't why it bothers me that I have to work through the 65 pages for revision and refining.  No, the reason I have been dreading this chapter is because I have written and re-written this 3 times now and each time it ends up being different.

The problem I'm having with this 'royal pain in the arse' is that it's predominantly one huge flash back scene and whilst it doesn't give much away regarding the plot of the whole piece, some of the parts within are extremely relevant, leading to clue's and clips of later events (That's my hope for this chapter anyway, whether it comes across like that to the reader has yet to be established).  And as much as I would like too, I don't really think I can edit it down.  I suspect a more experienced writer would have no problems cutting away the fat and stream lining it to a more acceptable page and word count and if the day comes where someone with experience can help I will listen and learn, but for the time being I will continue to work through this brick wall, with only my head as a sledgehammer.

Thanks to this chapter I have added a new insult to my already well established list of profanities.  So if you hear me calling someone or something a 'Chapter 8', it means that  they have annoyed me greatly and that I am slightly flustered.

So today's blog is going to be thankfully short as the more time I spend here, is less time spent there.

I just want to wish anyone who may read this a 'Very Merry Xmas' and all the best for the New Year.

Look after yourselves people, but above all, stay cool.

Pip  x

No comments:

Post a Comment