Monday, 25 March 2013

One giant step for Pip, One small step for writing...

Hey it's me again.

I know, it's been a while since I have written here, probably too long for the average blogger, but do you know what, I'm okay with that. I still have yet to acquire any followers or subscribers when it comes to my ramblings about my 'experiment' and I'm okay with that too.

There are hundreds of thousands of pages out there on the interweb all of which are dedicated to getting their message across, so the fact that I have no one following me is no surprise, although according to my figures over 800 hundred people have at least viewed, if not read what I have been writing. If truth be told, I write this more as a journal for my own use. It's a time line, all be it a not very consistent one, of my experiences of writing my first story/book.

In previous posts I have ranted, sworn, cried and laughed and whilst what I write here may be of no use to anyone else and probably comes across as boring, repetitive and mundane, for me it shows that I am at least trying to accomplish something and it’s a constant reminder of the emotions I have had writing my first piece.

I am unhappy with the way certain aspects of my life are going and writing my story/book has helped me more than I thought it would. I am going to be 37 in October and am about to be made redundant from a job that I am good at. The company I work for have informed that I have just been unlucky and that it's all part of the process due to the current economic climate. Bottom line, as far as I can see it, Shit Happens. I don't like it, but like most things, there's nothing I can do about it. I am quickly approaching an age (40) where I will soon be too old for certain roles or to experienced for others, so for me writing has been an escape, a place I can go to hide from real life when it all starts to become a bit much.

So for the last few weeks I have spent most of the spare time I have trying to finish the fourth draft of my story/book, which in turns explains my lack of 'blogging'. 

Well, I think it's as ready as it going to get.  As I have already explained in previous posts, I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to writing, not at this level anyway, having never taken a creative writing course, but I believe that if someone has a good story and if they really want it, then the writing will come.

Is it difficult?

Hell yes. Especially when you consider that it has taken hundreds and hundreds of hours to finish it and it's highly likely that when I send it off, the best I can expect is a polite 'Thanks, but no thanks.' But I have to believe that something might come of this, my gut tells me that I am doing the right thing. Am I setting myself up for a fall or even a fool? Probably, but if I don't try then I know I will spend the rest of my life wondering 'What if'.

So this is me telling anyone who may read this that I think I am ready to receive numerous rejections for my first piece of work, but despite that I am still going to give it a go and start sending it to agents.

It's likely that I will not be blogging much after this post for a little while, unless I get a response back from anyone who is kind enough to look at my work, negative or otherwise. I'm going to take a few weeks off, I think I’ve earned it, and then I am going to start on the second story in my series, of which I think there will be five, maybe even seven if I am lucky enough to have the time to finish them.

Either way, I know that I am going to keep at it.  But with some luck (probably more than I am prepared to admit) maybe I might be one of the lucky few that can do something they enjoy and earn a living from it.
I suppose only time will tell.
Until next time, look after yourself, but above all, stay cool.
Pip  x

No comments:

Post a Comment