Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Synopsis...WTF!!

Well it's me again...surprise!  Not really.

Anyway, how are you?  Me, how am I you ask?  Have I sent my story/book off to find an agent yet?  Ummm, well, no, not yet.  You see there is a little bit of a problem on that front, allow me to explain.

If you are an avid reader of this blog, which I know you are...maybe, then you will know that one of the first things I said when I started on my experiment to change my life for what I hope will one day be the better by trying to write a book, was that I did absolutely no research on how I should write, what to do if I write one, etc.  I still standby this, I genuinely believe that if I had looked into how difficult it was to try and become a writer, established or otherwise, I suspect I wouldn't be where I am now in my process.

I feel that my book is finished, as finished as it can be without someone who knows better telling me what I need to do to improve it anyway.  I was feeling pretty good with myself, the better part of 500 pages of what I have to believe will be a best seller, we can all dream can't we?  Yeah me!!

I have done my homework and researched the hell out of possible agents and was looking forward to receiving the countless rejections letters that I have been told time and time again I will receive from dozens of writing sites and then I find out I have to write a synopsis.  What is a synopsis you ask?  Well I'll tell you...

syn·op·sis  (Noun)

  • A brief summary or general survey of something.
  • An outline of the plot of a play, film, or book.  (This is the one were going to focus one)
  •  
    Sounds easy huh?  HELL NO!!!!!!!!
     
    So far I am on the third version of my synopsis.  My first was seven pages, which is far to long, my second attempt was slimmed down to three and a half, still to long.  It turns out that the ideal length is a single page, double spaced, with the font size at 12.  Arrgghhhh!! Arrgghhhh!! And triple Arrgghhhh!!
     
    I know that I can do this, I know can, I think anyone could.  But how do I do this and still make my story sound interesting, believable, good?
     
    It's just another hurdle Pip, it's just another hurdle.  That's what I keep telling myself anyway. 
     
    So this is me, venting, psyching myself up before I try and nail this bad boy.  If anyone does read this and if you have any advice or words of wisdom, anything, please don't be shy, I am all ears and would be extremely grateful.
     
    So in the words of Joe Swanson from 'Family Guy' 
     
    'Let's do this!'
     
    Thanks for listening.
     
    Take it easy, but above all, stay cool.
     
    Pip  x
     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment