Saturday, 25 May 2013

Bucket List : Write a book - Check.

Hello, how's it going?

Well I'm back, again.  In my last page of ramblings I mentioned that I had finally finished and printed my first ever story/book, hurrah for me, imagine fireworks, a marching band, etc.  Well I have spent the last few weeks reading through it and do you know what, I am having to make some serious edits.  AARRGGGHHHHHH!!!!

To be honest, it's not as bad as it seems in my head.  The story is there and the majority of the writing is, as far as I'm concerned, okay, I want to say that my writing is 'fucking awesome', but I'll get to that. 

I have learnt loads over these last few weeks whilst proof reading my story/book. 

The first thing I have to say, and I'm probably going to sound like a bit of an idiot here, (well more of an idiot than usual), but holding all those pages, with my 166,000-ish words felt pretty good.  And for a few minutes I didn't care if what I had written was good, complete shit or the next New York Times Best Seller.  I also didn't care whether I would be lucky enough to be able to sell my work, although that feeling passed quicker than the first one.  All I knew was at that point I was holding something that I had worked hard on and had written.  I had managed to take the story in my head and put it on paper, which for me, made it real.  For anyone who might read this and hasn't got to that point yet, it's a nice feeling.  And for those of you that write for a living, you lucky sods, you get to feel like that all the time.  And then I started to read it...

When I was writing I could have sworn I was quite a complicated writer.  Using clever simile's and imaginative metaphors.  I had delusions that if he was still alive, Hemingway should have been worried.  But after reading my story/book properly, it turns out that my writing is relatively simple.  That's sounds wrong, but it's difficult for me to explain.  By simple I don't think it's amateurish, even though I suppose technically it is.  I think, and remember this is in my own 'I haven't got a clue what I'm doing' opinion, that it flows pretty well and whilst I know it is nowhere up to other readers or writers standards, I believe it's a good honest attempt.  I just remember writing certain paragraphs or chapters and thinking how clever I was with my descriptions, etc, only to find that I'm not as 'complicated', which is the wrong word, but it will do, as I thought I was.  Go figure?

Could my writing be better, probably, no, definitely, but I feel that for my first effort, it's not bad and if I am ever lucky enough to be given the chance to try and make a living from writing I know it will get better, but I think the story is actually quite good.  I know, I know, I sound like a proper dick who is obviously delusional, but I believe in my story and just hope that if and when someone else reads it, whether it be an agent, a publisher, a friend or a genuine reader who might have even spent their hard earned money buying it, I sincerely hope they believe in my story too.

Anyway, that's where I'm up too.  I have read, on paper, something that I worked on and it felt good.  I don't own an E-reader and am going to be gutted if the time comes when I succumb to the electronic age and buy one, simply because to hold something made from plastic just won't feel the same as reading something that eventually develops character, a feel, even a smell, a good book is like a good friend.  At the age of 37 I have already bought several different copies of Tolkien's 'Lord of the Rings' because I have read them to death and had to replace them as they have fallen apart with over use.  Yes I know, conservationists might argue that every book made is a tree killed, if we forget about recycling for a moment, and I know and understand what the eco-warriors are saying and I agree, but it will be a sad day when I have to trade pulped wood for a plastic case with a glass screen.  Books are cool, fact.

Well that's it for today.  I am getting closer and closer to sending my stuff to the legends who might help me achieve my original goal, using my writing as a way to change my life for the better, although I get the feeling that this is going to be the hardest part of the process.  I have also started working on my second story/book, but I'm not going to talk about that yet, it's not quite ready, so shhhh.  If nothing else I can tick it off my bucket list, because whether I ever get published or not, I can say with all certainty, I have written a book.

Take care people, wherever you might be, but above all, stay cool.

Peace

Pip  x

No comments:

Post a Comment